Monday, November 26, 2012

Simple Past Vs Present Perfect

TIME ----> 1. Finished. ---> Past Simple
                   2. Unfinished. ---> Present Perfect


1). Past Simple (S+pp)

*-* I worked hard
          - yesterday
          - last week
          - last month

USE

* Something that happened once in the past.

  - I met my husband in 2008.
  - We went to France for our holiday.
  - They got home very late last night.

* Something that was true for sometime in the past.

 - I lived abroad for ten years.
 - He enjoyed being a student.
 - She played a lot of tennis when she was younger.

* Something that happened again and again in the past.

- When I was a girl I walked a mile to school every day.
- I always enjoyed visiting my friends.
- We sang a lot while we were in karaoke bars.

* We often use phrases with ago with the past tense.

- I met my husband a long time ago.

Question & Negative

- We use did followed infinitive to make a question.

- When did you meet your husband?
- Where did you go for your holidays?
- Did you live abroad?

* We use din not (didn't), to make negatives in the past tense.

- I didn't see you yesterday.
- We didn't get home until very late last night.
- They didn't go to China this year.


2). Present Perfect (have/has+pp)
     Present Perfect Continuous (have/has+been+ -ing form)

 *-* I have worked hard --> Present Perfect  *-* I have been working hard. --> Present P. Continuous
           - this week
           - this semester
           - since January
           - since 6 am


USE

* Something that started in the past and continues in the present.

- She has lived in Taiwan all her life.
- I have been married for nearly three years.
- It's been raining for hours.

* Something we have done several times in the past and continue to do.

- I have worked here since I left school.
- I have visited Niagara Falls many times in my life.
- He has written three books and he is working on another one.
- They have been staying with us since last week.
- I have been watching that program every week since it started.

* When we are talking about our experience up to the present (we use ever/never).

- My last birthday was the worst day I have ever had.
- Have you ever met Fendy?
- Yes, but I have never met his wife. --> Negative form.

* Something that happened in the past, but is important at the time of speaking.

- I can't get in the house. I have lost my keys.
- Mr. Chang is not at home. I think he has gone shopping.
- I'm tired out. I have been working all day.

* We use the present perfect with time adverbial which refer to the recent past;
     just; only just; recently

- We have just got back from our holidays.

..or adverbials which include the present. ever, so far, until now, up to now, yet

- Have you ever seen a ghost?
- Where have you been up to now?
- Have you finished your homework yet?
- No. so far I have only done my history.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment