Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Present Perfect Progressive

Form

Positive -->   Have/has + been (present perfect of ''be'') + verb-ing

- I have been working. ----> I've been walking. (sort from)
- You have been running.
- He has been cooking.
- It has been raining.
- They have been sleeping.

Negative --> Just add ''not''

- I have not been walking.
- You have not been running.
- He has not been cooking.
- They have not been sleeping.

Yes/no Question

- Have I been walking?
- Have you been running?

''Wh'' Question

- What have I been doing?
- Where have you been running?

USE

1. To say for how long unfinished actions which started in the past and continue in the present.
    We often use this with for and since (see the present prefect)

- I have been living in Taiwan for two years.
- She's been working here since 2006.
- We've been waiting for the bus for hours.

2. Actions which have just stopped (though the whole action can be unfinished) and have a result.
    Which we often see, hear or feel in the present (focus on action).

- I'm so tired, I've been studying.
- I've been running, so I'm really hot.
- It's been raining, the pavement is wet.
- I've been reading your book, it's very good.







No comments:

Post a Comment